At Restore Treatment Center, we understand that recovery from addiction is no simple task. It requires dedication from the individual client and extensive rehabilitation services. Drug addiction and alcoholism are disorders that affect people physically, mentally, and emotionally. In order for addiction treatment to be successful, a full continuum of care, including detox, counseling, rehab and aftercare, must be applied during the recovery process.
We believe that counseling programs are a fundamental element of addiction recovery at Restore Treatment LA. Alcohol and drug counseling concentrates more on the emotional and mental aspects of addiction. These therapy programs help our clients to understand the underlying causes for their substance abuse, correct negative behavioral patterns, and prepare them for life after treatment.
Addiction counseling is a form of therapy that addresses underlying problems that an addict may be facing. Counseling takes place during individual, group, family and behavioral therapy. Behavioral therapies used in counseling vary in focus and involve:
- addressing a client’s motivation for change
- providing incentives for abstinence
- building coping skills to resist drug use
- replacing drug-using activities with constructive and rewarding activities
- improving problem solving skills
- facilitating better interpersonal relationships.
Participation in group therapy and support programs can help a recovering addict maintain abstinence. The most common forms of counseling used in treatment include:
- Group Therapy: Group addiction therapy offers recovering addicts the opportunity to come together and share their story. Having a group of people to talk to and build relationships with, who are also on the same path as you, can be very beneficial and supportive to your own recovery process. Regularly attending group meetings can help reduce feelings of isolation, offer a level of support, and provide motivation to remain driven throughout the addiction recovery process.
- Individual Therapy: One-on-one counseling sessions with a trained professional plays an important role throughout the recovery process. This form of therapy is tailored to address the individual client’s needs, concerns, and progress. It assists in identifying self-destructive behaviors and personal addiction triggers, as well as customizes each person’s individual relapse prevention plan to help them avoid returning back to harmful patterns of substance abuse.
- Family Therapy: When one member of the family is suffering from addiction it can affect every person in the family unit. This form of counseling educates family members on the roles they play in a loved one’s addiction, and teaches each member how to support the addict throughout the course of treatment and recovery. Family counseling can also help mend any relationships that were affected as a result of the addiction, and provide an additional level of support.
Conquering addiction or co-occurring disorders is not something that can be done on one’s own. People in recovery need a strong support system once they leave treatment. At Restore Treatment Center, we believe that making a commitment to attend ongoing counseling sessions and support group meetings plays a significant role in the recovery process. Meetings, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and SMART Recovery offer the opportunity to meet people who are going through similar challenges. Working together through these obstacles allows every member within the support group to realize they are not alone in their addiction recovery journey. It also offers the opportunity to meet new people who are aiming to achieve similar goals, which can help maintain motivation levels.
Ongoing counseling after the completion of addiction treatment is an important factor in recovery from substance abuse. It provides support when life becomes challenging, and offers rescue when cravings and triggers to use arise. Our counseling programs at Restore Drug Treatment LA are designed to increase the success of addiction treatment and ensure the maintenance of sobriety over a lifetime.